Wednesday 2 May 2012

Fallen Tuna Mayo Souffle

Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Yeast-free, Low carb, Sugar- free, Paleo, Vegetarian, Soya-free,  Coeliac friendly, Diabetic friendly

Oh my, what to do with a tin of tuna?!  This recipe is perfect for picnics, on-the-run breakfasts, snacks, midnight munchies, lunch boxes............  Tuna and mayo were made for each other but just occassionally don't you feel like a little variety?  I had that feeling having already made tuna mayo and wondered what could I do for a change?  I had eggs so................a "Fallen Tuna Mayo Souffle" came into creation.  I say it is "Fallen" not just because it tastes "wicked" but because it usually does and is intended to as there is no flour of any type used.  By adding a tablespoon of rice or soya flour to the mix the souffle becomes a little firmer and more stable and less likely to fall - up to you!

I have my mother's old Bamix recipe book which has a very quick, simple and effective recipe for mayonnaise which I usually make so that I know exactly what ingredients are in my mayo but your favourite mayo will be just fine.


You will need:-

Handheld mixer - I use my Bamix with the beater attachment
or a Food Processor using the whisk attachment

2 large bowls to make and one to bake



Pre-heat the oven to 210 C fan.



Ingredients:-

One can of tuna in oil (olive, sunflower..both work, it's the taste that matters) -  180grams

6 eggs - separated

1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons mayonnaise


(Optional one tablespoon rice or soya flour and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder - I confess that I don't bother!)



Line a large bowl with non-stick baking parchment or a cake liner, either will do.
Method:-


Put the 6 egg yolks in a bowl and whisk to aerate.

Drain the can of tuna and flake the tuna into the bowl with the egg yolks

Add the mayonnaise.

(If using add the rice or soya flour and 1/2 teastpoon of baking powder)

Mix well.





Whisk the egg whites until firm.


Take one tablespoon of the egg white and gently fold into the egg/tuna/mayo mix, add a third of the egg white a fold gently and then the remainder of the egg white and fold gently until fully incorporated.


Pour gently into the prepared bowl.



Bake at 210 c fan for 30 minutes or until golden on top.



Serve and enjoy either hot from the oven or cold from the fridge.




I had a sous-chef when I made this last, my  remaining ex-battery hen, Boudiccea,  who joined our lives almost 2 years ago along with 2 others, Henny and Souffle.  Sadly Bou passed away recently.  This is my beautiful hen, Bou who loved to see what was going on in the kitchen and recovered very well adapting to life as part of the family with joy and lots of  chat:


Early days with Henny, growing some feathers and enjoying freedom.
Anything for me?
And had a beak for comfort which she deserved especially after her traumatic start in life and all the beautiful eggs she gave us.

3 comments:

  1. Never thought about tuna souffle! Looks like a big oopsie roll, and is made similarly. Love the chickens - sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. What is an "oopsie roll"? What country are you based in, I have never heard this description, it is great?!

      Delete
  2. I'm in the U.S. - Staten Island, New York. There's a blogger named Jamie Van Eaton who invented the rolls:
    http://yourlighterside.com/gluten-free-low-carb-buns-aka-oopsie-rolls/
    It's kinda finicky to make. Personally, I like to make these:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoqztmLhxaY&feature=channel&list=UL
    I know you are gluten-free. I need to try these with almond flour, and maybe gluten-free baking powder, if I can find it. I'm not celiac, but I know how bad gluten is anyway. Jamie's site is awesome, BTW!

    ReplyDelete