Monday 16 January 2012

My favourite kitchen gadget - the Bamix!

A word about my favourite kitchen gadget.........
My mother had a bamix hand held mixer.  It was used in particular for making homemade soups and mayo.  This machine must have been from the 1960s and I remember it being used in the 70s and 80s and 90s until it finally expired shortly before she did.
My dear Dad gave me a handheld mixer for making soups, he was worried that I was not eating properly!  It was not a Bamix, it lasted a few years and then promptly died.  This particular make had a plastic wand and covering down to the blade and could not be used in a hot pan of vegetables and stock which meant that one had to pour the very hot liquid into another container first if one wanted to make soup.  After this mixer died it was replaced with a similar one, lasted a few years, same story.
About 6 or so years ago I treated myself to a Bamix like the one in the picture above.  I use it for all sorts of concoctions.  It comes with 3 blade attachments and a separate grinder so that one can chop, whip and whisk as well as make spice blends, grind nuts, chop herbs.............I find that because of the metal wand it is safe to use directly in a pan of veggies and stock, hey presto, soup without the danger of transferring hot liquids between containers.  I also make yorkshires in the jug using it, smoothies, pancake batters, mayo, profiteroles, whipped cream, whipped egg whites .............it comes on holiday with me, I just adore it!
Another plus is that if one loses any of the blades once can buy replacements and Bamix offer lifetime this, that and the other in terms of repairs..........
If one had to chose a desert island kitchen tool not to be without this would be my choice.
When I bought mine the jazzier colours were not available and so mine is a very sound navy blue.  I have been tempted by red, silver and even pink but as the current one is in fabulous condition and working just like new I feel that I cannot justify a new one, that is perhaps the down side of this machine!
As I use my Bamix for a lot of my recipes I have linked those on Amazon to this page so that you can see what I am referring to.  The prices vary but the initial outlay does seem to be an awful lot compared to some makes of handheld mixer but my own experience does suggest that this make is worth the extra cost.  Bamix also make a very useful container with a lid that one can use for making smoothies, chocolate protein drinks, mayo.............and once made pop the lid on and put it in the fridge for later use.  No, I do not work for Bamix!
Everyone has favourites so do tell me about yours!
The Bamix Beauty Gallery!!

No comments:

Post a Comment